Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Liking the unusual abstraction


The more Emily Dickinson I read, the better I understand her frame of mind and where she is coming from when she writes her poetry. In the selection of poetry that I read, I have a few favorite poems of hers. The one poem I read that I really liked was poem 328. The poem was easy to understand and the topic was not in the realm of her other poetry. The poem could be about her thoughts on the bird and what it is doing or the bird could be a metaphor for society. She describes the birds actions eating, flying, and observing. The bird could be a metaphor to society because Dickinson tries to give the bird some bread crumbs but she took the opportunity for isolation: " Like one in danger, Cautious I offered him a Crumb-And he unrolled his feathers- And rowed him softer home". She tries to become a part of society but society keeps running away. She believes that people will leave her and run away but she takes a chance with "gifts". The last two lines I believe are about her thoughts to come true about isolation of society: "Than Oars divide the Ocean- Too silver for a seam-". After she gave the bird the bread crumbs, the world turns back into an unloving world. The ocean dividing gives the impression of the world not wanting change and not accepting Emily Dickinson. There are many different analogies for poem 328 because Emily Dickinson is so abstract in her writing. It is hard to find her poems to actually make complete sense.

A great example of Dickinson's vision of abstraction is poem 49. This poem was a bit more abstract than the previous poem but I still had an idea about what Dickinson was talking about. My own interpretation of this poem is about reincarnation. She did not live such an extravagant life but by praying to God she has gotten to relive a different life: "Twice have I stood a beggar- Before the door of God!". She has begged God for a new life and eventually her wish became true: "Reimbursed my store". She may not have gotten a better life but more of an acknowledgement from her father or from other people in her life. It was hard to find these analogies because her wording is so difficult to understand. What is a burglar or a banker? I understand that both a burglar and a banker deal with money and her last statement says "I am poor once more!" I am confused about that statement. What does the word poor mean? Dickinson knows how to make the reader concentrate on one word and to make the reader interpret that one word into several different meanings. I have grown to like her poetry and accept the fact that she will never go away.

On the subject of abstract poetry and art, I was interested in Professor Mohammad's lecture on futurism. The futuristic designs, art, music, and fashion has given me a new outlook on poetry. I like the idea of movement. Moving through the world in a fast motion with new ideas that are so unusual. I liked the video Professor Mohammad showed in class that Andy Warhol directed. At first glance, the video just dripped 80's style. The ore Professor Mohammad pointed the futuristic aspects in the video the easier I understood the craziness of the music video. The clothing in the video had futurism in it because of the bright colors and the height of the clothes and the hair styles. I have learned that futurism is about the movement that is why painters and poets use the image of cars. Cars have moved the world in so many different ways. Painters have used wheels to show the progression of what the world is coming to. The wheels are in constant motion not ever wanting to stop. I am interested in wanting to know more about futurism and the artwork. Some of the art work as so much going on that it is hard to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment